Local Plan Review 2020-2040
The Council is undertaking a review of its Local Plan (2006-2028) that was adopted for the area in March 2015.
A Local Plan supports the Council’s long-term vision for managing and accommodating residential and economic growth across South Somerset. It addresses needs and opportunities in relation to where homes could be built, how the economy can grow, where community facilities could be created and vital infrastructure. It also includes the steps which will safeguard the environment, help the district adapt to climate change and ensure there is good design. This is in the context of national policy as well as other strategies and plans at District, County and sub-regional level.
The Council committed itself to a review of the Local Plan following concerns raised by the Inspector at the examination phase, regarding the housing and employment land allocations at Wincanton. The review has been used as an opportunity to ensure that the whole Local Plan remains effective and up to date, and will result in a new Local Plan this was originally intended to cover the period 2016 – 2036, however the decision has been made to adjust the timetable to 2020-2040.
The Local Plan Review Preferred Options has been through the consultation stage and further work will be undertaken to consider the comments received and prepare further evidence to progress the Plan to the next stage. Supporting evidence for the Plan will be published on our website, some of which is already available below.
Preferred Options Consultation 28 June 2019 - 5pm 18 September 2019
The Council prepared a Preferred Options document which can be viewed electronically by clicking here . Hard copies of the document we made available during normal office hours in the District Council offices in Yeovil or libraries across the district.
The document set out for consultation the Council’s proposed strategy for delivering new homes and employment over the period 2016 to 2036, including site allocations and policies against which planning applications will be assessed.
The document reflects the latest Government Guidance in the updated National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) and the evidence base produced to support the Plan process. The Local Plan Review will provide us with a refreshed policy framework that will guide and shape development in the District up to 2036.
The consultation was designed to involve as many individuals and businesses of South Somerset as possible so that views could be collected and taken into account to help shape and evolve the next stage of the Local Plan.
The consultation period was held from 28 June 2019 to 18 September 2019.
After the consultation the relevant and main issues raised will be extracted and collated to be presented to committee when we are ready to progress to the next stage of the plan process. Further consultation is expected to take place in 2020/21.
Public Consultation on Issues & Options 2017
Issues and Options.
A consultation took place between October 2017 and January 2018. View a summary of the main points.
You can see all of the comments made on the consultation here.
Duty to Cooperate
A Duty to Cooperate Statement has been prepared to support the Local Plan Review process, following consultation with Duty to Cooperate partners during June/July 2020.
This is a live document and will be updated as necessary as the Local Plan Review is progressed, and Statements of Common Ground are prepared with partners.
Housing (including Five-Year Housing Land Supply)
- South Somerset District Council 5 Year Housing Land Supply Update, July 2021
- South Somerset District Council 5 Year Housing Land Supply 2020 to 2025 – Addendum, March 2021
- South Somerset District Council – Net Housing Completions (2006/2007 – 2019/2020)
- South Somerset District Council 5 Year Housing Land Supply 2020 to 2025 – Addendum, January 2021
- South Somerset District Council 5 Year Housing Land Supply 2020 to 2025
- South Somerset District Council 5 Year Housing Land Supply 2019 to 2024
- South Somerset District Council 5 year Housing Land Supply 2018 to 2023
- Housing Market Areas and Functional Market Area in Somerset
- Strategic Housing Market Assessment for Mendip, Sedgemoor, South Somerset and Taunton Deane Final Report (October 2016)
- Potential for Rural Settlements to be Designated 'Villages'
Older documents are available on request, email us.
- Employment Land Review 2019
- Review of FEMAs and Understanding Market Trends
- South Somerset Employment Land Evidence - Long Term Economic Forecasting and Implications for Employment sites and premises (July 2017)
- Addendum report to Long Term Economic Forecasting and Implications for Employment sites and premises (July 2017) November 2018
- South Somerset Economic Development Monitoring Report
Retail and Town Centres
- South Somerset Retail and Main Town Centres Uses Study Report (July 2017)
- Appendix 6 – South Somerset Retail and Main Town Centre uses study report (July 17)
Older documents are available on request, please email us.
Housing & Economic Land Availability Assessment
What is the Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (HELAA)?
It’s an important document which provides guidance as to where future development could occur. It provides evidence that brings together important information related to sites which could be used future housing and employment land delivery in South Somerset.
Importantly, the identification of potential sites within the HELAA does not imply that planning permission would be granted if an application were to be submitted, nor that a site will be allocated for development, but it will assist in the new preparation of the new Local Plan and help to inform the five-year supply of deliverable housing land. It will include sites suitable to accommodate five dwellings or more, or economic development of 0.25ha (or 500m2 of floor space) and above.
Older documents are available on request, email email@example.com
Authority Monitoring Report
Settlement Profiles 2017
Historic Environment Strategy
Historic Environment Strategy (Draft)
Sustainability Appraisal 2017
Statement of Community Involvement
Statement of Community Involvement (adopted September 2018)
Infrastructure Delivery Plan 2015/16
Local Development Scheme
Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA)
Flood Risk Map Chard
Flood Risk Map Ilminster
Flood Risk Map Wincanton
Flood Risk Map Yeovil
Flood Risk Map Crewkerne
Flood Risk Map Langport
Flood Risk Map Ilchester
Flood Risk Map Bruton
Flood Map Taunton Subarea
Flood Map Taunton Town
Flood Map Wellington
Flood Map West Somerset Subarea
Flood Map Williton & Watchet
Flood Map Minehead
Flood Risk Map Southwest Strategic
Flood Risk Map East Strategic
Flood Risk Map Northwest Strategic