Skip to content

Universal Credit

Universal Credit (UC) is a single monthly payment for working age people that replaces:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

People receiving UC will have housing support (help towards rent) included in their UC and will no longer need to apply for Housing Benefit

You will still apply for Housing Benefit if:

  • You have reached the qualifying age for State Pension.
  • You are living in Supported Accommodation. This is accommodation where you receive support such as care, supervision, counselling or advice. For example, hostels, refuges and supported living complexes.
  • You are currently entitled to the severe disability premium as part of your Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related), Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based) or have had a break in these benefits of less than a month and still receive this premium.

Visit the Department for Work and Pensions for further information.

If you would like to take further advice on claiming Universal Credit, especially if you have recently received another DWP benefit (e.g. ESA), please contact the Welfare Advice Service.

A Universal credit help to claim service is available via Citizen’s Advice South Somerset

  1. What about Council Tax Support?

    Council Tax Support is not included in UC.

    If you have already applied for UC with the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) and let them know that you pay Council Tax, they will tell us about your UC award.

    We can use this notification as your application for Council Tax Support and we will contact you for further information if we need it.

Apply for Universal Credit

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?