Skip to content Read our accesibilty statement
My home

I have moved house

  1. I need to let you know about my change of address

    A change of address could include:

    • Moving into South Somerset
    • Moving away from South Somerset
    • Moving from one property to another within South Somerset
    • Moving to a care/residential home
    • A change to the number of people (over 18) living in your property
    • A partner or adult child moving in or out of your home

    Report your change of address online. If you are liable for Council Tax, it is important to notify us of any change in circumstance within 21 days, failure to do so could lead to a penalty of £70.00. See our penalties page for more information.

    Report a move into the South Somerset District Council area

    Report a move within the South Somerset District Council area

    Report a move out of the South Somerset District Council area

    We will let the Benefits, Elections, Finance, Housing, Leisure and Revenues teams know that you have changed address. If any of the following apply to you, further action is required.

    In receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support?

    You will also need to complete a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support change of address form. Report a change of address online.   

    On the Homefinder Somerset housing register?

    To avoid missing out on a property, you must keep your application up to date. The quickest and easiest way to report a change of address is via your online Homefinder Somerset account. You need to request that your application is closed so that you can then reapply using your new details.

    In receipt of Universal Credit?

    If you are receiving Universal Credit, you will need to contact Universal Credit to report a change in your circumstances.

    Named in the electoral register?

    To be included on the electoral register you need to register from your new address. To do this you will need your National Insurance number, date of birth and address.

  2. Who do I need to inform that I have moved?

    We’ve created a useful check list for you to remind yourself who to notify separately to us.

  3. I need help with rent and other bills

    If you are having difficulty with your rent or Council Tax, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. Visit our advice page.

    If you need debt advice, you can find helpful information below:

    Money Advice Service


  4. I need to register to vote at my new address

    You can register to vote at your new address on the Government website.

  5. I want to check my Council Tax banding

    You can check your property's council tax banding on the Government website.

    For further information, visit our banding page.

  6. How do I check if my property is listed or in a conservation area?

    You can find information on your property and street by visiting Your Area.

  7. I need to park a moving van outside my home

    For information on parking waivers, visit Somerset County Council

  8. I have a problem with my household waste collection

    Missed waste collections can be reported online.

    New containers can also be requested.

  9. I want to change the name of my house

    Visit our street naming and numbering page for more information on how you can apply to change the name of your house.

  10. I need to end my housing tenancy

    Visit our housing page for advice on ending a tenancy.

  11. I'd like to know more about local schools

    Information to help you choose a school and apply for a school place can be found on the Somerset County Council website.

Thank you. You response is appreciated.

Was this page helpful?